Friday, January 31, 2014

menu musings: gravy train

I don't really like gravy. I mean, I'll eat it if it's already on my meal, but if it's on the side, I opt out. My husband, on the other hand, loves gravy and sauces and condiments. So I tried my hand at a gluten free gravy from scratch. I searched the internet for some recipes, but I quickly became overwhelmed by too much text... yes, my laziness is real.
So, I know that gravy is made with some kind of mix of water and flour, so I decided to wing it. I did search for a simple gravy recipe just to get the proportions of flour and water. It turned out delicious. Here's my recipe for gluten free gravy.

Ingredients:
onion (about 2 sliced rounds)
1/2 green pepper
mushrooms ( I used 4 baby bellas)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 cup water
1/4 cup gluten free flour (I used millet flour)
1/4 cup chicken (or whatever meat you're cooking) drippings
sea salt to taste

Make it:
1- chop the onion green pepper and mushroom
2- in saucepan heat oil over medium fire
2- add chopped veggies to heated oil and toss around for about 5 minutes
3- add water
4- fold in flour
5- stir in drippings
6- stir, stir, stir. once mixture begins to thicken (should happen very fast) turn fire to low and cover for about 6-7 minutes. keep a watch on it for desired consistency.
7- salt to taste
8- the end.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment