Monday, October 6, 2014

crochet rocket


I've been teaching myself to crochet. {I have a hard time not reading the word crochet as crotch-it. Oh, the many idiosyncrasies of the English language.} I've wanted to learn how to crochet for a long time. I have always admired women {especially women my own age} who crochet. Looking at a finished piece was intimidating. I believed there was no way I could do something so intricate. Or that it was too late for me to learn to crochet. I seriously thought that. I don't know why I felt that way. I think maybe because I saw my sister learn at such a young age I felt, since I hadn't yet learned I would just never be one who crochets. I know that that doesn't really make much sense, but I think often times the things that prevent us from growing and trying new things never really make sense.

Using YouTube videos and my jack of all trades sister's advice I have learned a few of the basic stitches: single crochet (sc), double crochet (dc), half double crochet (hdc), and treble or triple crochet (tr or trc). I've made a couple scarves and hats as well as a couple bows for a friend's pooch. The bows are incredibly easy and quick to make. They are so cute and can be used as jewelry, hair and wardrobe accessories, crafting projects and I'm sure much more. I'm lightly toying with the idea of making some for sale. But I'm not really ready for that, so maybe further down the line, it's something I might consider more seriously.

Check out a few of my completed projects:
crochet scarf
My very first crochet project.
A newborn hat for my expected niece/nephew.
An blurry action shot of Maki wearing a beanie I crocheted.

My first attempt at crochet bows.

Lessons learned the hard way:

Buy enough yarn to complete your project all at the same time.

I picked up some yarn to make a hat and scarf set for my nephew. Being new to crocheting, I wasn't really sure how much yarn I should get, so I started with one roll. {I could always come back and get more, right?} Wrong! Half way through the scarf, I ran out of yarn, so I returned to the store for more yarn. I bought two rolls: one to complete the scarf, and the other for the hat. When I got home I realized that while on the label, they were the same color, the two rolls I had purchased must have come from different lots as the dye varied slightly, albeit noticeably. One of the newly purchased rolls was a perfect match to the half completed scarf, so I used that one to complete the other half. The off color yarn, I used for the hat. 
{Problem solved, right?} Wrong! 

Half way through the hat, guess what!? I ran out of yarn. Back to the store I went. This time I was a little concerned if I would be able to find a color similar to the roll I used for the hat, since it was an off color to begin with. So I brought the hat with me, so I could match it up as best as possible. To my dismay, the color was completely sold out! There wasn't an on or off color to be found. So I chose a solid color to best match it. I plan to undo some of the hat and re-crochet introducing the solid color early on so it doesn't look like a last minute "I ran out of yarn" switch. Lesson learned for the next time.


Did you know:
yarn bombing, crochet
Photo Source
  • Before hooks, people used their fingers to crochet? Considering crocheting is basically the knotting of loops, this doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to accomplish. Although, I imagine a career crocheter would have a serious case of carpal tunnel. 
  • There is a worldwide graffiti knitting movement known as yarn bombing. Wikipedia credits Magda Sayeg of Houston, Texas as the founder of the spreading movement in which public spaces, fixtures and items are partially or entirely fitted with a knitted or crocheted cozy. An Instagram search for #yarnbombing yields over forty variations of hashtags, the largest with over twenty thousand posts! 

2 comments:

  1. I've seen many yarn bombs throughout the SF Bay Area. I'd love to catch these yarn mavens in the act. I am too intimidated to try crocheting and I have many other things before it on my to do list but am impressed that you learn via YouTube. Usually when I do things I get addicted so I also fear I wouldn't be able to control myself and end up adding too many skinny yarn ties to my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've read, yarnbombers do a lot of the preparation beforehand. They crochet squares or pieces that they can easily sew onto the target when on site. Consider yourself lucky if you do get the chance to witness a bombing!

      Crochet has been incredibly addicting. If you do give it a go, perhaps you could consider crochet gifts to friends and family to save on closet space. :)
      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete