Thursday, October 30, 2014

ello guvnah... {and president}


This past Tuesday Maki and I had the awesome opportunity to hear President Obama speak! The President visited Milwaukee to campaign for gubernatorial hopeful, Mary Burke. {Of course she spoke too. But that's only significant if she wins, right?}
I was a little apprehensive about the entire experience from the onset. First off, I hate lines and I hate crowds. I was nervous about how he would take to so much happening around him. Well I shouldn't have been nervous at all. My little guy is a trooper. We waited two and half hours in dropping temperatures and spent another two hours inside the event. Maki behaved better than I ever could have expected.

The weather has been pretty moody in Milwaukee the past few weeks. Fall is trying to hang on while Winter seems to be gaining turf. Tuesday was a warm Autumn day, riding the unseasonably high temps from Monday but as the sun dipped off into the cityscape it took all traces of warmth with it. Luckily for us, I had decided I would wear Maki during the event. I don't babywear much at all anymore. Maki has long outgrown his strappy carriers, and he's pretty much at the weight limit of the Moby wrap. {I've been begging Daddy for a toddler back carrier. The older Maki gets, the harder it is to justify the purchase.} Not to mention, he's so active I couldn't imagine a time when I'd need to wear him besides to an event like this one. But knowing that I'd be attending alone, strollers weren't allowed and there was no limited seating, I figured I'd better bust out the Moby and do my best with it. {Daddy joked that, Makis is so big now, I'd be strapping a man to my chest. Har har har!}
It was the perfect decision. The body heat kept both Maki and me warm as we waited in line. Maki being so close to me, kept him calm and gave him refuge from squealing admirers. And I did not have to deal with trying to chase, arm-carry, or keep up with a toddler. I was even able to breastfeed him in line and at the event without anyone even noticing.
Though, I must say that those hours of toddler wearing definitely took a toll on my body. By the end of the night, my legs were all wobbly and my biceps were super tight. When I laid down to sleep I could already feel my legs stiffening. The next day I woke up feeling like I had done an extreme total body workout--which I guess technically I did. Even my abs were sore.

Long lines, cold weather, achy body aside--I'm really glad I took Maki to see the President speak. I'm not really one to get star struck. And when faced with the aforementioned conditions, if making a decision for myself, I'd rather stay at home in my warm bed crocheting and watching Damages {my current Netflix binge}. I can catch the sound bites on the ten o' clock news. But this was another time where I felt that this opportunity wasn't for me. It was for my son. I took pictures, captured videos and have the ticket stub as a memento so that when Maki is older, he can look back on these things and know that he saw the President of the United States in person {whether he remembers it or not}. Not many people can say that.

Did you know:
You can request a greeting card signed by the sitting President to celebrate your baby's birth.

Maki's Presidential greeting from The Obamas.
Click here for more information.

P.S.- Tuesday was also Maki's half birthday! Happy 18 months, Maki!

No comments:

Post a Comment