Wednesday, November 19, 2014

ezpz diy: how to remove labels and sticky residue from salvaged jars


Remember back when I was searching for projects using jars... well here's one that I got around to doing. My jar collection was getting ridiculous and I knew it was time to either do something with them or put them out for recycling. With the holidays coming up, I figured homemade gifts can be a good way to get rid of use some jars. I wanted to try out a few different beautifying techniques before tackling the gift jars. So I decided to practice on the jars I was using as incense holders.

The first thing I had to do was remove all of the labels and sticky residue from the jars. For this, I decided to put a popular Pinterest method to the test. There are thousands of pins out there touting the efficiency of baking soda and olive oil as a simple fix for the begrudged sticky residue. Does it work? Here's my experience:
clean labels from jars using baking soda and olive oil

First I submerged the jars in hot soapy water for about five minutes. {If your jar still has a label intact it might take much longer, but I soak and peel my labels as soon as the jar is empty. However, I don't always get them completely clean.}
Next, I rubbed a mixture of equal parts olive oil and baking soda on each jar. {I used a tablespoon of each. And just scooped some out with my finger tips and rubbed it on the jars.}
I let the jars sit for about ten minutes and then simply rubbed them clean in the soapy water using my hand.
Easy peasy.


There was one jar, that still had remnants of the label on it when I began. For that one, I actually treated it twice. The first treatment lifted the label and the second one lifted the glue. I probably could have used more elbow grease with just one treatment to get the glue off, but doing it twice was way easier.

clean labels from jars using baking soda and olive oil
clean labels from jars using baking soda and olive oil
clean labels from jars using baking soda and olive oil
I will definitely be using this method to remove the labels and glue residue from jars here on out. I guess you can call it a pin win.
clean labels from jars using baking soda and olive oil
clean labels from jars using baking soda and olive oil


My next post will feature a completed jar. Here's a sneak peek: 

box of ribbons

2 comments:

  1. There are so many pin fails out there that I think it'd be cool for you to do a "pin win" feature.

    I have seen (and pinned) this goo gone alternative but haven't tried it. I always have a bottle of goo gone and it lasts forever. I used to use it for things that now a Tide eraser can handle, so it now only used on labels. Seems like this method may be better bc with goo gone I have to go through the same process of soaking and scraping with my nail as you did. But goo gone has an awful scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will have to keep a running tally of these pin wins.
      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete