Thursday, October 24, 2013

menu musings


Maki has really bad eczema. His skin is super sensitive to many food and topical triggers. Because I breastfeed, I've had to eliminate the foods that trigger his eczema from my diet. So far that has amounted to a farewell to dairy, eggs and gluten. Nuts were on that list for a short while, but I willed him not to have a reaction because I couldn't bear the thought of no peanut butter on this already exhaustive list of no-gos.

Going gluten, egg and dairy free has been an interesting experience for us (my husband stands  eats in solidarity with me). I feel like it has given me more control over my diet and the things that I put into my body. I find myself reading labels and making smarter choices about food (nutritionally and financially).

So far, the most frustrating thing about eliminating gluten, egg and dairy from my diet is finding decent recipes. Don't get me wrong, they're out there, but boy you've got search. The problem that I come across most often is dairy free recipes rely heavily on wheat, gluten free recipes rely heavily on cheese and both tend to throw a little egg in the mix. Sigh.
Oh and another thing I've learned quickly about being g-e-d free is you need to get used to cooking....every meal. Basically, give up the notion of grabbing something quick on-the-go from anywhere other than your own cabinet/fridge. So always make enough for leftovers.

Speaking of cooking and recipes, I'm currently on the hunt for g-e-d free pancakes. I need to diversify my breakfast options, which currently consist of a lot of smoothies, hash-browns or toasted rice/nut breads. To be honest, I've come across a few recipes, but if it looks like too much to read at first glance I'm pretty sure it requires more work than I'm willing to put in on an empty stomach. Hopefully I'll find one that's simple enough soon because I really miss pancakes. And when I do find one, you can look forward to a post here. I'll be sure to keep it simple.


Are you vegan, dairy or gluten free? What are some challenges and wins that you've encountered?

2 comments:

  1. Having to watch your diet due to a food sensitivity in your breast feeding baby is no fun! I only had to limit some foods until about 4 months due to some colic so I can't imagine having to cut out dairy or gluten (exp gluten bc it seems like its in everything!). We're crossfiters in our house so we follow a mostly paleo diet and I've been able to find tons of recipes for that on Pinterest. Check out paleo! I'm pretty sure it follows your dietary guidelines :) keep up the good work mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Pinterest, it's been my savior in what would otherwise be many hungry nights for me. I've seen paleo recipes, but I've been too lazy (surprise) to look into what the paleo diet consists of. I'll give it a look. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete